Thursday 24 March 2011

“A tree with flowers needs deep roots in the soil” (Mgr Urioste)

“Blessed is the one who trusts in the Lord,
     whose hope is in the Lord.
He is like a tree planted beside the waters
     that stretches out its roots to the stream.”
Jeremiah 17

Thirty one years ago today, at 6pm in the afternoon, Archbishop Oscar Romero was celebrating the Eucharist in the chapel of the hospital where he humbly lived when, as his homily came to an end, a shot rang out as a gunman fired at him from the back door of the chapel. The Archbishop fell to the side of the altar. Despite the best efforts of those in the chapel with him, he died within minutes. The gunman was an expert marksman and knew exactly what he was doing.

For years I’ve been inspired by Romero. He was someone whose faith led him to see the injustice within El Salvador, the rich, dominating families keeping people living in poverty so as to keep their power, and stood against it. It wasn’t an easy decision. He was challenging the very fabric of society and even influential members of the Church were against rocking the proverbial boat too much.

Romero gave his voice to the voiceless. In his weekly homilies, broadcast simultaneously over radio (co-funded by CAFOD) throughout El Salvador and beyond, he would carefully reflect on the Word of God in the Scriptures. He would also recount the violations of human rights – the “disappearances”, the torture, the kidnappings and killings that happened in El Salvador that week. He would condemn these abuses, committed both by the military and by those challenging the oppression. Romero would ensure people knew the unbiased reality of their country, and used Scripture to help reflect on their situation.

For giving voice to the truth, the United Nations have named 24 March, Romero’s anniversary, as the “International Day for the Right to the Truth Concerning Gross Human Rights Violations and for the Dignity of Victims”. It may not be a catchy title, but a sign of real respect for Oscar Romero by the UN. Today, on his visit to El Salvador, President Barack Obama is following in the footsteps of Pope John Paul II and going to pay his respects at the tomb of Romero in San Salvador’s Cathedral.

I am consistently challenged by Romero. How much do I really know about what’s going on in my local and my global community? What is Scripture helping me reflect on in all of this? How much do I shut my eyes to the reality of my brothers and sisters? How much am I doing to help? When Pope Benedict visited the UK in September, he reminded us that “every day we have to choose to love”. It’s a conscious decision. The words of today’s gospel, the Parable of the Rich Man and Lazarus, are ringing in my ears. How do I daily “choose to love”?


Finally, as Lent continues to roll on, the other thing which really struck me about Romero is how spiritual he was. When we spoke with Mgr Ricardo Urioste who was Romero’s secretary, he said that Romero was “a saint man, a pastor, and a martyr. He had a deep contact with God in prayer, and always a deep sense of unity with the Lord”.
He was known to disappear from important meetings, to be found knelt in prayer before the Blessed Sacrament. Urioste said, “a tree with flowers needs deep roots in the soil. Oscar Romero was a man with so many flowers, and people knew this was because he had such firm foundations in the Lord.” When I read today’s first reading from the prophet Jeremiah I heard these words echoed. As I continue my Lenten journey, I know I need to re-commit today to spending time in silent prayer, listening to God speaking to me, and talking with God in my heart.

Working in Romero House, CAFOD’s main office in London, I walk past the plaque in his honour as I enter the building each day. It’s a reminder of what we are capable of if we really are rooted in God, as well as what the sacrifice may be if we truly live out our calling as a child of God. Each day as I walk in, I say in my heart:
Oscar Romero, Servant of God, pray for us.


Stephen Davies,
Works with CAFOD,
Went on pilgrimage to El Salvador with The Romero Trust in November 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment