Wednesday 16 March 2011

God Loves a trier

It’s only been a few days and already I know I have broken my Lenten promise. Biting into a piece of chocolate brought a wave of guilt and a wondering of why I was really giving it up anyway.

In Jonah 3 we hear about a city that changed their ways completely so that their city would not perish. ‘When God saw what they did, how they turned from their evil way, God repented of the evil which he had said he would do to them; and he did not do it.’

This made me think about how God really does recognize all the changes that we make within our daily lives even those tiny little things that we ourselves may not pay much attention to. When we make a change in Lent by giving up something or doing more of something else, no matter how big or small it may be, God can see that we are doing it for a reason. Those reasons can vary hugely but no matter what that reason may be one way or another it is bringing us closer to Him. Those things we have given up can erase a distraction from the link between ourselves and God. This could mean that time on the xbox could be changed for a time of prayer and even the money we save from that cheeky chocolate bar can be given to another of God’s children who really need it.

This may seem so simple, but we need to make sure that we know that God watches over us in a way that nobody else can. He watches over us no matter who we are or what it is we do to try and change our ways.

One of the things I will always remember from high school R.E was the teaching, ‘If you do any of these things (fast, pray or give money to the poor) do not proclaim it, instead do it in secret, the Lord will know what you have done and you will be rewarded in heaven,’ This isn’t the best translation, but I feel that it is something which is hugely important to follow within our daily lives. We may currently be striving towards our reward of an Easter egg on Easter Sunday, but remember that there is an even bigger reward waiting for us in heaven and that will be more special than we can even comprehend.

I know I’m just going to start my Lenten challenge again and I’m sure it’s not going to be the last time I do so, but I know that no matter how many times I have to try again that the reward will be great.
As my dad always says to me:
‘GOD LOVES A TRIER


By Rosie Whalley, 16,
From Wigan.
Studying at Carmel College.


No comments:

Post a Comment