Saturday 26 March 2011

Religion or Relationship?

Good morning, afternoon or evening depending on when you’re reading this.  I hope you have/are having/ had a good day.  I’d like to share with you something I heard yesterday.  I was sat at the back observing a GCSE class when a dynamic Anglican priest came in to give his testimony.  The topic in question was vocation.  I sat there listening attentively, amazed at this man’s calling.  I was transfixed by his openness and honesty, until he uttered the words “Christianity is not a religion”.  At once I snapped out of my reflective moment into a state of panic!  What was he saying?  What on earth are these pupils going to write in their exam?!  However, his next statement rooted me to the spot;
“Christianity is not a religion, it is a relationship.” 
This is something so very obvious, yet is often forgotten.

This view of Christianity as a relationship has many guises; however the simple notion of entering into a relationship with the Father through human interaction is not something new.  God himself took on human flesh through Jesus Christ, He worked hard, He literally got his hands dirty with the very things humans do – it is through this interaction we encounter the one true God.  It isn’t simply structured “religious” belief systems that inform our actions as Christians, but the agape of God experienced through our relationships.

So, during lent we are often tested and challenged by giving something up, praying a bit more or giving money to charity, all of which are important.  However, why do we do these things?  Is it because of religion or relationships?  Do we act out of duty and obligation? Or do we act out of love?
These are just my reflections on a thought provoking statement.  It is a challenge which I am grappling with myself and wanted to share it with you.
“Love one another as I have loved you”
John 13:34

Peter Jones, 24
Trainee R.E teacher in Liverpool Archdiocese
St Benedict’s Parish, Warrington.

No comments:

Post a Comment