Monday 21 March 2011

Pray Pray Pray

Lent for me has always been trying to give something up and setting time aside for prayer.  It’s strange that I can find time during Lent because this is what I have set myself to do but at other times I struggle! I always seem to find other things more ‘important’ and grab 5-10 minutes here and there, but actually,
what is more important?

Am I looking for distractions?
Is my relationship with God one sided?

At a preparation meeting for the Northern Catholic Conference, I was recommended to read:

‘Preparation for Total Consecration according to St. Louis Marie de Montfort’

St Louis de Montfort tells us that “those who desire to take up this special devotion” (Total Consecration to Jesus Through Mary), should spend at least 12 days in emptying themselves of the spirit of the world, which is opposed to the spirit of Jesus. They should spend 3 weeks imbuing themselves with the spirit of Jesus through the most Blessed Virgin”

So preparation began....

Spirit of the World

‘Examination of conscience, pray…..’! In prayer, we face God as we are, not as he wants us to be.

This helps us to have........

Knowledge of Self

We hope for the light to know ourselves and to be truly confident in God's love. We become dependent on God’s mercy.

Knowledge of Mary

‘We must unite ourselves to Jesus through Mary…. Our blessed Mother is perfect – a mold wherein we are able to be molded’

Knowledge of Christ

A desire to get to know the one who knows me through and through.

We are reminded in John 8:12

“I am the light of the world;
anyone who follows me
will not be walking in the dark,
but will have the light of life.


By reflecting on this, it has given me an insight of what I should be committing myself to not just during Lent but afterwards as well.


For me, prayer needs to be planned, meaningful and effective.


Lorraine Leonard
Youth Ministry co ordinator


No comments:

Post a Comment