Thursday 21 April 2011

A true act of love...

I sometimes think that the TV channel ‘Dave’ was invented just for me. I can happily watch anything and everything that they have to offer. Top Gear? – Yes please. Mock The Week? - Even when its two years out of date. What about Trawlermen? – This for me is the pinnacle of Dave’s programming!

I would like to play a game with you all. Taken from another of Dave’s hit shows ‘QI’. The format is to try not to say anything too obvious (although where I will deviate from this concept is that on QI the obvious answer is false and for this reflection I shall just attempt to avoid the obvious because it gives you nothing new.)


Today is Maunday Thursday. The feast of the Lords Supper and what is interesting is that the Gospel for today is not about the breaking of bread at all [warning lights flash] the Gospel is instead about the prequel to Johns supper – this Gospel is the washing of the Disciples feet [warning lights flash again]. This for me is a wonderful element of Jesus’ ministry.  This wonderful man who the disciples had been amazed by for almost three years still managed to shock.

As a youth worker I often use this Gospel with young people and struggle to share the immensity of this event. I will use cliché’s like comparing this to “having your headmaster carry your bag” [warning lights flash], “having the Simon Cowell give you a lift into town” [and again with the lights] or even “having President Obama cook you beans on toast” [warning lights flash once and then there is a power cut, plunging the studio into darkness]. These are all good comparisons, but they are all flawed. Comparing Jesus washing the disciples feet to any of these is like comparing an oak tree to some brambles, like comparing the King of Kings to a King.

This was and is a true act of love. This is not a human understanding of love, where you are so bowled over by someone beautiful skipping in slow motion through a cornfield under a blue sky with rainbows and bluebirds and a puppy is for some reason licking your face, but Gods love when the greatest person in the whole history of humanity washed the filth encrusted feet of his betrayer.

How then can I possibly reflect upon this rich text without stating the obvious and setting off those lights. Perhaps I can give you my perspective. For the past six months my perspective upon scriptures has changed drastically. This advent just gone, I held back tears of joy at the birth of Christ, I understood the genuine panic of Mary and Joseph when they lost Jesus in Jerusalem and I sobbed when Jesus spoke to Mary and John from the cross and said “this is your son… this is your mother”. Six months ago I found out that I was going to be a father.

As a man who is months away from being knee deep in nappies, I think that I finally understand this Gospel. Jesus washed his disciples feet, not just to shock them, or to prove a point, he degraded himself because he loved them. There are a million things in the world that I would rather do than change a nappy. When the time comes I will switch off ‘Trawlermen’ and do my fatherly duty. Jesus tells his disciples, “do as I have done to you” (Jn 13:15).

Parents do not change nappies because they expect any thanks, I have never thanked my own parents for their service. (Infact I should………………………………….
I have just phoned my parents to thank them - they think I am mad.) 

Parents change nappies because it is the right thing to do, it is an act of love and those two things are the same.  They say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. To truly thank my parents I should endeavour to be a good parent, to be a good Christian I must endeavour to imitate Christ who in turn shows His Fathers love.

“Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father” (John 14:9)

To draw this reflection to a close I would like to offer this prayer -

May we be willing to serve with no hope of thanks. May we follow Jesus’ example to love always, even when it is shocking to others. Also may we be willing to be served, to allow people around us to help us, to be vulnerable and to rely totally on God in others.

Finally on a personal note I ask you to pray for my wife and I and “the nameless wonder”, that we can be a loving family and that when it comes to the hundredth nappy that I can still feel so spiritual.

Have a blessed end of lent and a significant Easter.  


Jon Cornwall, 
Aged 26,
Retreats Manager of Walsingham House and expectant father.


No comments:

Post a Comment