Thursday 7 April 2011

“He who lives in love lives in God, because ‘God is love”

Before Holy Mass one Sunday I pondered these words from John, then as I went up for Holy Communion I prayed to myself saying:
“I am nothing in the sight of He who is everything and He who is everything gives me everything, thus making me worth everything. I thank and praise you Lord, God. I am not worthy but Your compassion knows no bounds”.
After Holy Mass, just as I was leaving a man from my parish gave me this old picture. Every Lent I gaze at it seeing more and more.


Christ centred in the middle of the picture (or the universe), Crucified for the world (bottom of the picture). He gives us the Holy Spirit (the Dove beneath Christ, which descends upon the world). As he dies His head drops and with His arms open high and wide His body appears to make what looks like a chalice/cup: Then he took a cup, and when he had returned thanks he gave it to them, and all drank from it, and he said to them ‘This is my blood, the blood of the covenant, which is to be poured out for many’.” (Mark 14:23-24). Then as the picture continues you can see above the Eucharist (His body), which has been raised from the dead.
When in private prayer, especially during Lent, I gaze at this image of our Lord, pondering over the love that our God has for us – It is mind blowing.
When we realise the immensity of God’s unconditional love for us we can only respond with love, gratitude and praise. 
Its so easy to see the many problems and trials that life throws our way, but if we allow the love of God to flow through us in the works we do for our neighbours, we would be showing how much we are truly grateful to God. 
Padre Pio once said (before deciding to build a modern hospital): Love is the spark of God in man’s soul; it is the very essence of God personified in the Holy Spirit… to God we owe all our love”.
Perhaps as you reflect on this image (or any image of the Crucifixion) you could ponder on how much Christ’s love for us lead him to willingly surrender His life in excruciating pain. Maybe you could think of someone who needs to see Christ’s love through you.


Eamonn Hyde
Seminarian for the Brentwood Diocese
Royal English College, Spain


No comments:

Post a Comment